Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Orinoco

So, it has been a while since I've posted. And that has to do with the fact that I've been super busy and I also haven't had much to share. However, I've decided that my silence reflects a poor commitment to Saus. Thus, I'm breaking my silence with a post that isn't directly Saus related but it is industry related... For those of you who are familiar with my long neglected blog BarFlyontheWall (who am I kidding, that blog is dead...), this will be similar.

I tried a restaurant for the first time this past Friday. I had been hearing such great things about it and it had been on my to-go list forever. My anticipation was not for nothing. Orinoco was so delicious that I feel the need to pass on my exceptional experience.

Orinoco has two locations- one in the South End and one in Brookline Village. I went to the cozy Brookline Village location. It has a vibrant, busy atmosphere but doesn't feel uncomfortable or overwhelming. As soon as I walked in the door and saw the rough wooden finishing, turquoise accents, and warm walls I was happy and hungry.

And the food! Seriously, ridiculously amazing. They play with traditional Latin flavors and add unexpected twists. Nothing I ordered was bland. I got an assortment of empanadas for an appetizer. There was the usual black bean empanada and sweet pork empanada but also a crab-filled empanda. And they came with a sweet, lemony dipping sauce that I was tempted to scoop out with my finger when the empanadas were gone. Dinner-room decorum stopped me.

For my meal I got lamb chops crusted with pistachio-panela-plantain. It was spicy, sweet and crunchy (I like how they add texture to their food). Mouthwatering to think about. The tenderloin comes with crab picadillo piled on top, which I think was my favorite part of the meal. Orinoco made me fall in love over and over again.

Basically this post is so I can pass on my new-found love and to show that I am continuing my serious market research in exploring new flavors and searching for inspiration! Seriously, hard work people. I take my job seriously.

No comments: